Tuesday, November 4, 2008

an imminent flurry of blogs

I recently returned from a fairy-tale-esque trip to Amsterdam, Paris, Prague, Vienna and Budapest, and I promise to write multiple blogs about my experiences there.

For now, though, let me change the subject to one that's being overly covered (but necessarily so): the election. We all know what's at stake; I'm not going to hound you about our place in the rest of the world, about our flailing economy, about our laws and freedoms... I cannot begin to lecture, because it's not my place. My personal convictions in this election are just that- personal.

I am neither an Obama nor a McCain fan, but Palin tips the scales for me. I will not attack this poor women; she's been attacked by too many people already.

I don't agree with her views on just about anything, but that's me.

I wondered what people here in Wales thought, and here is the response I got from people working with Plaid Cymru.

"She's a nutcase," one colleague said, "but she's hot."

Another said she disliked Palin as much as I did.

One passed me an article from the Guardian, which contained an edited transcript of the prank call. Here's the only transcript I can find Online: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081101/entertainment/palin_transcript (thanks to Yahoo news for this).

There is no doubt in my mind that the media is slanted against Palin and that my view of her has been slanted by all the articles I've read (particularly those from my favorite magazine, The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/09/15/080915ta_talk_lizza, http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2008/09/22/080922sh_shouts_saunders, among others).

Still, I would rather have an enthusiastic, intelligent man as president who has a sturdy VP than one who has a VP with the demeanor of a flaky cheerleader. I like McCain; I like Obama. I'm not crazy about Biden; I can't stand Palin. So, by default, I suppose I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an Obama win.

P.S.- On a side note, I'd like to comment about my last blog. Matt Wardman did not exactly "reveal" that Wardman is his pen name; he unveiled that information on his blog a long time ago. I, however, had no idea that was the case. And, based on the numerous people who called him "Matt" at the conference, I don't think I'm alone. Either way, he's a fantastic blogger, and both he and Betsan Powys helped me adjust to Welsh politics.

2 comments:

Matt Wardman said...

>On a side note, I'd like to comment about my last blog. Matt Wardman did not exactly "reveal" that Wardman is his pen name; he unveiled that information on his blog a long time ago.

Thanks for that comment - much appreciated. I just want to make sure I never get tangled up in the "anon wars".

Matt

Ike said...

As someone who is also so very far from home during this important time, I'm wondering if you feel as impotent as I do. I realize that I could not do anything other than what I have already done, but to be so far from removed from the action is tearing at me. How do you feel?