Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Party politics, politics party: bittersweet election memories

This is the moment after. You know the one: your eyes have been focused on the path below your feet, each step is your only purpose in life... You stopped counting long ago; the scenery grew stale. Up, up, up you go, your back about to break and your lungs on the verge of collapse. But you focus your energy to make one more step.

Only, there's no step to take; you've reached the top.

There is a moment of precious amazement... and then the cartoon bubble of "What now?" pops up, with a cartoon version of you scratching your head.

The American election has defined me as an American in Cardiff since my first day here. Before that, the election dominated life at home. Dwindling newspapers pried into politicians' lives to dig up stories that would throw a curve ball in the campaign's course and resurrect ratings. Magazines sold comedy about the campaign's players, from satire to slander to caricature.

So, what now?

Welcome to the next era of American politics.

Last night, I was glued to the TV in Ty Gwynfor, Plaid Cymru's headquarters, which hosted an American-themed Obamafest party, complete with hot dogs, salsa, apple pie, Corona with lime and wine. Lots of wine.

Two Plaid people played McCain and Obama in mock debates. "McCain" focused on his war wounds and age; "Obama" used the words "change" and "hope" about 30 times in three minutes. Both tied the American election with U.K. politics; "Obama" compared Dafydd Iwan to extremist enemies, highlighting the American seemingly McCarthyist fear of terrorists and Muslims and individual thinkers, which is hilarious if you understand the carefree nature of the Welsh. He also mentioned a One American coalition, poking at the Plaid-Labour deal here.

Laughs were abundant as I sat with a group of students from Cardiff University. I planned to stay until 12 a.m. (7 p.m. in Ohio). Before I knew it, 12 turned into 5, and my heart turned into cement as McCain conceded.

My new-found Uni friends couldn't seem to understand why I was so sad. Was it the wine? I had been supporting Obama, after all, even if it was by default; I should be overjoyed.

No, sirs, it was not the wine.

No candidate has bowed out with such dignity, grace and class as McCain did last night. (Here's an AP transcript of his speech: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hmJfimrZW3jBur_BmaFtqj7mfFgQD948JFJG5)

The election is over. Obama won. By a landslide: he needed 270 electoral votes, he got 338.

Game over.

I keep lifting my foot to continue hiking toward something, but there is only open air. I look around me and wonder, what now?

1 comment:

Ike said...

Now what? Now we rebuild. We start with one thing, fix it, move on, fix another thing. We may be at the top of one hill, but trust me; in my experience hiking, there is always another hill to climb. (Physically and metaphorically) Miss you, Dianne