Thursday, November 27, 2008

Weekend recap: Caerphilly

Despite a nasty cold coiling around me, I visited Caerphilly on Saturday and Swansea on Sunday.
Caerphilly
My first stop was Caerphilly Castle, which was a slight disappointment because of construction on the two highest towers and because a wedding occurred during my visit. All the people in expensive dresses and suits, smiling and celebrating the union of two lives, left me feeling lonely and small. Not one to bask in pity, I began to walk. And I walked and walked. I passed tired neighborhoods and graffitied walls, cats and birds, until finally I came to a little path through a strip of woods.
There, around me, a strip of Wales at its finest: rolling grasses and twisted trees, fall foliage and giant stones and streams. I meandered up and down this path until the cold wet began to seep through my medication into my bones.
Then I went back to the city, visited a local craft bazaar, and headed back for my train, just in time to catch the Cardiff-New Zealand rugby match.

Tired as I was, it was a beautiful day.

No comments: